Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Have you ever heard of a dog biting there toenails?

I have daschound ( i know I didn't spell it right) She is one year old and she bites her toenials I have never seen this before I also have another one year old daschound and she has never done it. I was wondering if anyone knew why she is doing this or have heard of it. NO RUDE ANSWERS!!!!!!!! Thank YouHave you ever heard of a dog biting there toenails?
Funny. When I read your header, I was ready to write that of all the dogs we've had (8), my dachshund was the only one to do it all the time. Then I read that yours was a dachshund! He lived until he was 14, and he ALWAYS did it. I always attributed to part of his grooming regime. If you think about it, dachshunds were bred to burrow after small animals in the ground. They probably do it by instinct (even though my dog was a city dog--not much digging). I wouldn't worry about it too much. She's just keeping herself looking spiffy.Have you ever heard of a dog biting there toenails?
A lot of dogs do this, it's normal. it's just them keeping thier nails from growing out of control. wild animals nails are worn down by walking on rough terrain, but house pets don't have quite the same daily happenings and a lot will tend to make up for it like so.
I have had many pitbulls over the years, and been around otehr dogs, and I have only encountered one who does this! My oldest male dog does this all the time! He trims them and does a good job at it, so I don't see anything wrong with it! I only wish that my other dogs would do it too, as they are a pain in the *** to cut their nails!
lol my parents dog bites hers .she is so ';girly'; in her movements and you look over and she is chewing her nails so cute! they have a chewawa( i cant spell that for sure)
maybe her toenails are irratating her, and she's trying to scratch them? ! it's a possibility! happy holidays!
yeah my jack russel terrier does it too.i think its because he is trying to chew them off. mine stops it when i clip his toenales. try it, it might work. good luck!!
Her claws may need to be trimmed or they may have something stuck in their fur or just habit.
I have a 5 year old male pit bull and he bites his toe nails too. I really don't know why. This dog is always grooming him self. Kind of like a cat! Saves me from having to trim his nails, which he hates for me to do.
My JRT mix does that sometimes. I know he's healthy (I have a wonderful relationship with my vet) so I just chalked it up as another one of his funky personality traits...
My dog did this also. He was part Dachshund.





It could be for a number of reasons.





1. Nails need clipped.


2. Do you live in a snowy area where they salt the streets?


Something could be irritating the nails/pads. Or the hair between the toes is too long.


3. Just an itch or a nervous behavior/habit.
I have a Boston Terrier that does this also, sometimes she is cleaning between her toes, but she does keep her toe nails trimmed.





It's normal for some dogs!
I've observed dogs chew on or between their toes whenever there's an insect bite, cut, burr or thorn, skin is irritated, excessive hair growth between the toes, toenails are too long, nervous or just part of overgrooming.


My Dachshund, Sugar died in 2006 and she chewed her nails if they were too long. She lived to a ripe old age of about 17.
my 2 year old jack russell does the same thing. your dog is biting the hair between her toenails and toes. at least i think so. theres not that much that i know of that you can do with it, but make sure you keep her toenails trimmed.
My neighbor's dog bites her toe nails and gets pretty aggressive when anyone tries to stop her. My neighbor gives her dog coconut oil to prevent this. The dog loves it and has shown improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment