Thursday, January 21, 2010

I cut my toenail too short?

now it is pushing into the skin a little bit.. the nail is too small to cut a v in it because it is my middle toe. What can I do at home to fix this?I cut my toenail too short?
just make sure to keep pushing the skin down like once a day so that the nail doesnt grow into the skin. use rubbing alcohol to keep the area clean if it breaks skin or is irritated. that happens all the time. dont worryI cut my toenail too short?
Say OUCH!!! and wait for it to grow back.
DON'T CUT A ';V'; INTO YOUR NAIL! A few months ago I had a horrible problem with my big toe. I cut the nail too short and it cause both sides of the toenail to become ingrown. Because I am not one to run to the doctor, I tried all of the home remedies, including the ';cutting a V into your nail'; trick. Trust me, it DOES NOT work. Since the nail grows strait up from the nail bed, the V does absolutely nothing except leave your nail looking even more horrible then when you started off. If the nail does not feel ingrown, just let it grow out. If it does start to become ingrown, see a podiatrist immediately.





Update:


Try soaking your foot in an iodine-salt solution (make the water as hot as you can stand it) for about 10 minutes. As soon as you remove your foot from the water, the skin should be nice and tender so this is the time to try and push the skin back. Also, take a small amount of cotton, roll it up into a log shape, and shove it under the side/s of the nail (you can do this with the help of a pair of tweezers). The other month another or of my toenails started to become ingrown and this regimen saved it.


If you do wind up going to the doctor, this is what they might do:


First, they give you a needle in your toe (since it was my big toe, they gave me about three)


When it is numb, they go in and remove the ingrown side of your nail (you shouldn't feel that at all)


Next they pour acid on the nail be to stop the nail from growing back.





If you do the whole soaking-cotton thing, you should not have to go through this process. I was stubborn and did not go to the doctor when I should have and was in a lot of pain because of it. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment