Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ingrown Toenail Proceedures?

Has anyone ever had an ingrown toenail surgically cut out? Where they numb you with cold spray and then give you a shot in the toe then cut out the ingrown toenail? If so, please be honest with me and let me know how bad the pain is from the shot? I am terrified of shots, especially in such a delicate place such as the top of my big toe (ouch!!!)Ingrown Toenail Proceedures?
I have had my done two ways.





One in the local podatrist office with a local anaesthetic. The other in Theatre under sedation 2 weeks later.





I will be truthful and say the one under sedation was much, much better.





I am terrified of needles, although I am a nurse, so was freaking out that they were going to inject into my toe. But it really is no worse than the Dentist.


They can numb it up a little with cream before the shot of local. BUT ASK FIRST as they don't automatically do it.





I just had to have a big infection removed from the side of my tornail and needed a local because it was so painful. But I lost it. I couldn't look and started sweeting and doing the deep breathing we teach patients. It worked.





Let them know you are scared. They are very sympathetic to this fact. No one likes these injections.





The big toe really isn't the most painful place to get a shot of Local.





Go and get some Zylocan Gel, a cheap local anaesthetic that you apply to the skin so it numbs the dermis, from the chemist first and apply this 30 minutes before your appointment. Wear thongs to stop it rubbing off and you will need to wear them afterwards. And let them know that you have applied some typical local aneaesthetic. You will still feel the injection but not as much. When they are giving the injection, close your eyes and slowly breath in your nose and out through your lips to relax slightly.





Good luck.Ingrown Toenail Proceedures?
i had one removed a week ago,they didnt give me anything for pain.they grabbed my toenail with a pair of surgicall plyers and snatched it out.blood went every where.i couldnt walk for 3 days.doc told me to take asprin for the pain.i cant even put a sock on that foot it hurts so bad.every time i try to walk it starts bleeding again.i dont think it would have hurt any worse if they had cut the whole toe off.
hmm. my cousin had that happen to him and i remember he couldnt walk on it for a while or it would bleed and he was supposed to use crutches but he didnt. he had to have gauze rapped around it for like 2wks maybe? but maybe urs isnt as serious so...idk. good luck!
I had my big toes done. They pre-numb, and then inject with a needle. (Not fun, but not much worse than the dentist.) Then, she took something like a scissors and cut down the sides of the nail. Then she put some sort of acid on the root area, so the nail wouldn't grow back.





I had to wear sandals for a day or 2.





Worked well to keep ingrown nails from happening (did it over 4 years ago). However, the side edge is kind-of weak, and I sometimes have to trim that stuff.
Its not too bad if they use the cold spray, but if they dont it does sting pretty good, but only for a moment. It starts getting numb pretty fast, and if you close your eyes, all you feel is the prick, then it stings for a minute, then nothing.





Your toe will feel sore after they cut out the ingrown toenail, make sure that you wear comfy shoes for the next little bit. Even if you have to go to Walmart and buy a cheapie pair.





Good Luck! Ingrown nails are NOT fun.





EDIT:


They wont use acid, unless you have chronic ingrown toenails. YOU DONT WANT THAT!!! Your toenail wont grow back there. They DO wrap it in gauze, but I NEVER had to walk around on crutches, and I NEVER really bled that badly either, I was just sore.
Ingrown toenails are easy to take care after taken out. I have it done and is not painful. You are going to fill much better. About the shot, just don't look at your foot. Believe me you are going to feel much, much better. :-)
I had it done.they put medicine on your skin on the toe there going to do then they let it get numb and give you a shot then the cut the side of your toenail if it still hurts they numb you again.then when your done they give you a shot so you wont fell it for awhile it was wonderful.then you have rest with your feet up that day after that you can walk around

No comments:

Post a Comment