Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ingrown toenail surgery?

Hey I have an ingrown toenail problem on my left toe and on the left corner. I would say that my toe is not very swollen and I see no pus coming out. I have to go get surgery on it next week. Can anyone explain to me how the surgery works and if there is any pain during the surgery?Ingrown toenail surgery?
I spent many years of my life fitting shoes and prescription footwear. I have enjoyed helping people with their foot problems. You have a condition commonly known to doctors as ';onychocryptosis'; ingrown toenails.Surgery in my opinion is something to consider only as a last result. I have often heard it said that as Americans we have become a knife happy society.We are also into instant gratification on an instant solution to almost any problem. I can tell you that as a result of 40 years worth of conversations with people who have had various different types of surgeries successfully vs. those who were greatly disappointed that there are perhaps as many as 25 surgeries performed for each one that should be considered absolutely necessary. I have a reference site listed below that I wish to share with you. I have never once disagreed with any of the information that they have available here.Ingrown toenail surgery?
It's not fun. I had both of them done last year. I had it done as an out patient in the hospital. They tell you to hop on the table, then they freeze your toe with needles. That's the worst part. Then, in my case, the doctor put a small incision at the bottom of your toe nail, lifted the whole nail from the nail bed, cut the edge off, and yanked it out through the incision at th bottom. Then, they bandage your toe, and send you on your way. The give you some tylenol 3 or other pain killer, and you're fine. It's pretty sore for the first few days, but, doesn't last long.
Its painless, they shoot your toe up with novicain. Then they cut the toe nail away from the corner where the problem is. Then they tell you the best piece of advice ever; cut your nails STRAIGHT across. The reason nails get ';ingrown'; is when you screw up cutting them and you create a sharp spike of nail that grows into your skin. Leave the corner of your nail so its beyond the skin and the problem will go away!
wow i have the same thing, same foot, big toe. i am curious why your getting surgery and what they are going to do. will you please let me know?
When I had this done (twice) I had a doctor numb it with an injection and I almost kicked him in the face cuz it hurt so bad. But after that I didn't feel a thing. He took a pair of flat headed plyer things and wedged it under the nail and took the whole thing off. I had a really bad one that couldn't be saved though so that might be different than what they do for you. I sure felt better than dealing with the ingrown nail though. The second time it got ripped off and they couldn't save it.
I was very young when I had to go through this. It has probably changed since then but what I had to do was they sprayed my toe with this spray that numbed them and then they gave me a shot in the base of my toe near the joint. The doctor went in and just cut out the ingrown part with scissors. I won't lie, it hurt bad but it could've been worse. My husband and brother had this done and they were put to sleep like regular surgery and the entire toenal was removed. It depends on your doctor.
The doctor inserts needles into the to to numb it and the cuts the toe nail out. From what I here, the needle hurts a little, the actual procedure does not, and afterwards the toe feels better due to the ingrown nail being out.
hello


i had this done on both feet the big toe. ouch anyway


the only pain was when the doctor put the needle in to numb it up the surgery took like five seconds to do im not kidding he counted to five and it was over with. you will get a bandage and sent home with painkillers and antibiotic . the toe will stay numb for several hours then it might start to throb but you should have no more problems. you will do fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment