Friday, January 15, 2010

This is gross but I just accidently ripped out my pinkie toenail....?

I was outside in barefeet and rammed my pinkie toe into the corner of my porch. When I got inside I noticed my toe was bleeding pretty bad. I hobbled over, grabbed a clean towel and started to wipe the blood away. It hurt a little but I'm clumsy and stub my toes all the time. As I was cleaning up the blood I felt the skin on the top of my toe stretch a little and then break away. I look in the towel and low and behold my entire pinkie toe nail right there. I know very Hostel the movie, but my question is...what now? The bleeding is mostly stopped, but do I need to keep it covered and bandaged or let it air? Is it safe to use Neosporin or something like that on the open nail bed? It hurts a little (maybe a 3 on the 1-10 scale - nothing excrutiating but a lot less then I thought for having removed an attached part of anatomy) Should I be more worried about infection? Is it safe to wear my tennis shoes or should I stick with flip flops until it heals?This is gross but I just accidently ripped out my pinkie toenail....?
This happens all the time. Wash the area with soap and water and yes that does sting. Put an ANTIBIOTIC ointment on it and bandage up. Be careful about the ointment -- there are so many out there now it is confusing and you sure don't want to put anti-itch cream on an open wound. Watch the drainage on the band-aid for any funky discharge or smell -- doctor time if that happens. By the way, are you current on your tetanus shot?? After the ooze goes away, let to air. Don't wear tight shoes. Best of luck.This is gross but I just accidently ripped out my pinkie toenail....?
no you could wear shoes just cover it with a bandaid until the pain is gone. Just get used to not having a pinkie toe nail. lol
I would suggest keeping it covered with a bandaid, just because it's your foot, and being on the ground it's much more likely to pick up dirt and germs and such. I'm also sure the neosporin wont hurt it or anything. in fact it might speed the healing.
omigosh my pinky toe nail break off all the time.....mines from play sports.....i dont put anything on mine so idk if your suposed 2 or not....but i happens 2 me ALL the time
Keep it clean and see what you can were with out pain the most. Your food get all nasty in shoes but then letting the toe breath is good but you could get dirt in it too. Band aid when out side and leave it open if you are just hang-n at home.


I tore my pinkie toe nail too. But mine is split side to side but the ends are still attached just the middle is not. Hurts like heck but not as bad as you without a toe nail at all. OUCH!

No comments:

Post a Comment