Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My toenail is falling off. Not sure what to do.?

I got my toe stepped on by about a 350 pounder at practice last week, and my toenail has been loose ever since. I have also noticed there is kind of an odor, almost like dog poop, coming from the nail bed. I'm not sure if I should pull or cut the nail off, since I really doubt it will reattach. Secondly, I was wondering if most nail beds stink like this or if it may be a sign of infection. And thirdly, what I should put over my toe since I have a football game Saturday. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.My toenail is falling off. Not sure what to do.?
The odor sounds like you have an infection of some kind. Since you play football, it's not uncommon to have athlete's foot, or another kind of nail fungus. Are your toenails hard, discolored and brittle? That's a dead giveaway of an infection.





In regards to the toenail, it will fall off on it's own. Don't try and cut it off because some of it may remain and become ingrown. Don't pull it off because you may damage the nail bed.





I would wrap your toe in a sterile dressing or gauze before putting your cleats on, or talk to your team athletic trainer and have them take a look at it.My toenail is falling off. Not sure what to do.?
Its gonna hurt but you should put peroxide under the nail. Wrap gauze around it with neosporin and then a bandaid around the gauze. Go to the ER. It will cost about 40-70 dollars for the visit unless you have insurance. They may remove your toenail and if so, you wont be able to play football for a while.





good luck!
I would put a bandaged over your toe for protecting it for your football game, but in the mean time I would get in touch with a foot doctor, cuz you probably have your self a infection, as for the toenail the doctor will remove it. He'll probably even numb your toe before he removes the toenail. If you have an infection he'll give you meds to take to get rid of it and also tell you to keep it clean and covered, if it's really bad he'll give you a note for your protection to stay out of the football games till it heals. I had a big moose of a guy step on my toe before too. The nail never grew back the same as the others I always have trouble with it, and I'm always going to the foot doctor to have that one trimmed cuz of the way it grows in.
ew.


yeah i had that happen to me twice.


not the 350 pounder thing, but i stubbed my toe and then after my nail was somewhat grown back, i subbed it once again on a basketball.


yeah.


if it is really loose, then slowly pull it off. ice it or something first. it hurts like a s.o.b.


if it looks infected or something like that, visit a doc.


and if its your big toe nail, its going to take a longgg time to grow back.


also you might even want to get your toe xrayed just in case it may be broken. one of your smaller bones could be broken and you may not even realise it, i got mine xrayed the first time.


lol.


for the game... try to be benched.


sorry but you may make you situation more painful or worse.


show your coach. they'll understand.
ewww cut some of it off if you can and then put a bandage on it. ewwwwwwww
Go to the doctor. You have an infection.
You might have gotten a fungus from the moister in your shoes. You can find some topical ointments at a drug store that can help. I would try and cut off the area that is not attached, leave what is attached, that way the fungus medication can penetrate the skin.(you can get nail cutters, instead of using regular clippers. I added a source that shows a picture of cutters)





As far as what you should do before a football game, I would just wrap it up in that medical tape stuff that sticks to itself and not your skin.





You should try and keep it out of your shoes and in a clean/dry environment when possible. Definatly talk to your doctor about it though and see if there is any other ointments or remidied he/she has.

No comments:

Post a Comment